I love the idea of crockpot evangalism! What a great way to share the gospel by creating an enviroment that is comfortable and open. Our family has found that this is very effective and open up our home often to build up relationships that are so vital to the success of any church especially a small home missions work.
I really do think that it is important to understand that as long as there are people in a city we have an oppertunity to build a church. I have found myself looking at every person I come across as a new church member. It does not matter if they are standing in line or working the coffee shop, I see them as someone who I could witness to. It makes a difference when you begin to see them as Jesus would see them. Thank the Lord for the fields are ripe!
I believe the highest calling is that of a Minister of the gospel, Jesus stated that anyone that leaves their parents, children, or spouse would gain more in this life and in heaven. This has given me the greatest respect to Men of God in my life and give them honor by following in their footsteps tht have sacrificed all the wordly possessions and aspirations.
There is a work ethic that requires me to keep moving and bring consistency to the building of the kingdom of God. Home bible studies provide the best results in teaching prospective converts about a new abundant life.
I love the NIV tranaslation of Romans 8:28! "... in all things God works..." As we stumble and make feeble attempts to do His work, he can correct our mistakes and turn everything around for "good". God can bless, even my inadequacies, if I will keep my heart right and make His work my priority.
Bro. Elmore, I agree totally! Many times, especially in the south, it's easy to feel that everyone is already a "Christian". (At least they will tell you they are!) However, as this lesson teaches, as long as there are people, you can build a church! I'm reminded of the woman at the well at Sychar. She didn't realize it but she was debating religion with the Creator of the Universe! She had her favorite scriptures, but what she knew had not changed her behavior. So often people's religious lingo is nothing but a smoke screen! Their lives are still messed up!
The Fort Knox Mine is an excellent metaphor for us! 33 tons of material to produce 1 oz. of gold! WOW! That really does help us relate to the "work" involved to build a church. We usually go through a lot of people to find "one" who is hungry for what we have to offer. I sincerely have a love for people. I am very comfortable being around "all" people but most of the people I have interaction with are not hungry for spiritual guidance. However, the day may come when they are! So I want them to feel comfortable talking to me when that time arrives in their life. I try to think of meeting people as "I'm looking for people who are looking." So again, we may have to go through a lot of rock and dirt to eventually find one who is really hungry. But once the gold is found, it usually will lead to a larger supply! "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Gal. 6:9 (NIV)
This was a very rich and uplifting message,the reference to St.John 5:35 for the fields are white already to harvest is very powerful.I realize we must continue to sow and water and wait for our God to give the increase,but I feel the Lord Jesus gave us a wonderful example of the woman at the well in St. John chapter4,she was ready that same day.There are hungry and thirsty souls right now in our respective cities just waiting for apostolic truth.Our prayer is Lord Jesus lead us to hungry and thirsty souls for your glory.
Our brothers reference to the Shunammite woman's need for the man of God was very compelling.The woman received the promise of her son from the man of God,when her son died she never thought once of Gehazi to help,it was only "well" when she found the man of God.The delegation was attempted by Elisha to use his servant by laying the staff on the dead child's face,but this woman's faith clearly was with Elisha's relationship with the Almighty God.
I agree with brother Ed Gann comment concerning brother Bradbury's research on the Fort Knox mine.Great information 33tons of rock to produce 1 ounce of gold.Og Mandino wrote the most popular sale's book in the world,entitled "the greatest salesman in the world"Og wrote your gold might be just one more foot down keep digging.
Our crockpot evangelism, has turned into a meal or snack after church on Sunday evening. It certainly does give us a chance to meet and get to know each other much better. I don't paricularly like going out to eat on Sunday anyway. Ok I admit, I don't like to go out and eat. But the church is a much better place to talk than a restaurant and some of our new church members can't afford restaurant meals.
I really like Bible Studies as well, and totally agree with every point made by the speaker. I'm very interested in our first Revival as well. I'm so excited about the possiblities. One thing I've thought of, but haven't had the opportunity to try yet, is using local young preachers on a Saturday night. Maybe give them 15 minutes each. 4 or 5 of them, with some singing mixed in as well. This would give people a chance to use what they are feeling God is calling them to do. Nothing like getting some experience.
alaskaelmore Thanks for the idea that every person we see is a potential member!! I like that, we are not in competition with any other local church, because what we have to offer doesn't even stand in the same catagory.
I really appreciate the passion that is underlying in Bro Bradbury's remarks. He's not screaming, but he has me excited about what it is I get to do as a Home Missionary. Thank you for the clear uplifting words concerning our calling!
What a compelling takeaway concerning the verse about the fields being ripe for harvest. I want to see my community through that lense every day. So many people who are hungry for God and desiring to be a part of His Kingdom. I admit that I am not always as convinced of this as I need to be. Thanks for the reminder!
Bro John R and Alaskaelmore - Crockpot evangelism has been a great success for our church. We have only 1 service on Sundays, and we use the ocassional Sunday night as an opportunity to fellowship with each other while grilling burgers or something. Our folks love the chance to forge new relationships with each other as well as strengthen previous ones.
in response to alaskamore: I also view every person I come into contact with that lives in our community as a potential member. I picture them attending and becoming a part of our church.
I have often told people who say they admire what we are doing that anyone can plant a church, but only God can grow a church. I think this fits with Bro. Badbury's statement that as long as there are people, you can build a church. People are all around us and if I see the harvest as ripe and that God wants us to succeed then we can ensure that we are doing His will when we are reaching people.
We have used food as a good connecting point in our community. Around Thanksgiving we have given away turkeys and this has helped us to make our name and faces familiar to those in our community and neighborhood. Also we have tied in potlucks with "Friends and Family " Sundays. We do about 3 of these a quarter, where we just emphasize a Sunday towards bring friends and families. This has begun to breed familiarity with those who attend and have seen people become members through these.
@ alaskaelmore -- I rejoice with you as well.. Thank the Lord that the field is ripe. It's ready, and the Lord has prepared it for us to go Harvest it. Where there are people, there can be a church!! It doesn't matter if you are in the south, the north, the east or the NW! God's promises are faithful and true in every place
I can testify with Bro Bradbury that long bible studies rubbing shoulders with people is the most effective evangelism for someone that is planting a church. If they will give you time each week, invest that time in them.. and the Word and His Spirit will produce fruit and they will reproduce. That's how the church multiplies, is when people catch the vision and will buy into what you are planting.
It is interesting how he compares a company that is trying to get it's product out as much as possible, to a church that has more services to reach out and preach the gospel more often rather than less.. especially as we see the day of the Lord quickly approaching
We have instituted the crockpot evangelism in our Wednesday format. Most Wednesday's we come together at a table and then follow it with a Bible Study. People love it.
The Bible speak of the "fields being ripe"... the focus is on the fields. Sometimes I need to remind myself of the focus and less of the rest of it all. I can get caught up in looking at all that is around it all and forget about the white that is on the field.
I appreciate what Bro. Bradbury said about long-term bible studies. I have taught both short Bible Studies and Long term bible studies. What I have found works for me is to do a short bible study that helps bring them to an understanding or need for salvation. However, one will never be deeply grounded in the word of God without long extensive bible study. Long-Term Bible studies provide an opportunity to influence people over an extended period of time while teaching the principles and truths found in the Word
I liked the take on Revival services. I'm all for them and would love to do them more. The idea that we may not have very many people should be a good reason to plan such services. We had our first revival in February (thanks to HMD) and the results were astounding. That week we had around 50 first time visitors. About 20 of them have stayed and are involved in our bible study now. Praise God!
(aka-the sanctuary) I appreciate the information presented in this session. Speaking specifically to the idea of how the “harvest is ready right” now allows for the church planter to be aware that what he/she is doing is not simply evangelizing without any direction. The Lord shared that He is the one who gives the increase, and we should not be discouraged if someone decided not to return to our church or follow up with a call after you visited them. Prayerfully seek what God is doing in the life of the individual and He can direct us to His plan/timing for them in their walk with the Lord.
(aka-the sanctuary)I enjoyed the idea that we can work toward having a long-term bible study in mind in the process of winning people to Christ. Keeping the person or family in the forefront of our prayers and having a long-term study and strategy with them can create connection to the pastor. Such a study can bring about trust and allow the person to feel that this person truly cares about their spiritual well being.
(aka-the sanctuary) Philip Bowers: The idea of having a “Friends and Family” special Sunday 3 times a week seems like something that we currently – “Friend Day”. I like the idea of strategically building evangelism services throughout the year to not only keep the focus in front of the existing congregation, but also to allow for new folks to visit on “their special day”. We will often do these events and have some sort of pot-luck meal afterward. A great amount of our new folks have really stuck after such an event!
Describe how you are connecting with the people in your community. Is there a method you have used which connects people in a successful way to your church plant?
We connect with the people in our community through weekly outreach efforts. We do A LOT of advertising, be it door hangers, newpaper ads, radio spots, and the most effective which is inviting friends and family. Nothing has been more successful for us than empowering the congregation to invite friends and family.
I love the idea of crockpot evangalism! What a great way to share the gospel by creating an enviroment that is comfortable and open. Our family has found that this is very effective and open up our home often to build up relationships that are so vital to the success of any church especially a small home missions work.
ReplyDeleteI really do think that it is important to understand that as long as there are people in a city we have an oppertunity to build a church. I have found myself looking at every person I come across as a new church member. It does not matter if they are standing in line or working the coffee shop, I see them as someone who I could witness to. It makes a difference when you begin to see them as Jesus would see them. Thank the Lord for the fields are ripe!
ReplyDeleteI believe the highest calling is that of a Minister of the gospel, Jesus stated that anyone that leaves their parents, children, or spouse would gain more in this life and in heaven. This has given me the greatest respect to Men of God in my life and give them honor by following in their footsteps tht have sacrificed all the wordly possessions and aspirations.
ReplyDeleteThere is a work ethic that requires me to keep moving and bring consistency to the building of the kingdom of God. Home bible studies provide the best results in teaching prospective converts about a new abundant life.
I love the NIV tranaslation of Romans 8:28! "... in all things God works..." As we stumble and make feeble attempts to do His work, he can correct our mistakes and turn everything around for "good". God can bless, even my inadequacies, if I will keep my heart right and make His work my priority.
ReplyDeleteBro. Elmore, I agree totally! Many times, especially in the south, it's easy to feel that everyone is already a "Christian". (At least they will tell you they are!) However, as this lesson teaches, as long as there are people, you can build a church! I'm reminded of the woman at the well at Sychar. She didn't realize it but she was debating religion with the Creator of the Universe! She had her favorite scriptures, but what she knew had not changed her behavior. So often people's religious lingo is nothing but a smoke screen! Their lives are still messed up!
ReplyDeleteThe Fort Knox Mine is an excellent metaphor for us! 33 tons of material to produce 1 oz. of gold! WOW! That really does help us relate to the "work" involved to build a church. We usually go through a lot of people to find "one" who is hungry for what we have to offer. I sincerely have a love for people. I am very comfortable being around "all" people but most of the people I have interaction with are not hungry for spiritual guidance. However, the day may come when they are! So I want them to feel comfortable talking to me when that time arrives in their life. I try to think of meeting people as "I'm looking for people who are looking." So again, we may have to go through a lot of rock and dirt to eventually find one who is really hungry. But once the gold is found, it usually will lead to a larger supply! "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Gal. 6:9 (NIV)
ReplyDeleteThis was a very rich and uplifting message,the reference to St.John 5:35 for the fields are white already to harvest is very powerful.I realize we must continue to sow and water and wait for our God to give the increase,but I feel the Lord Jesus gave us a wonderful example of the woman at the well in St. John chapter4,she was ready that same day.There are hungry and thirsty souls right now in our respective cities just waiting for apostolic truth.Our prayer is Lord Jesus lead us to hungry and thirsty souls for your glory.
ReplyDeleteOur brothers reference to the Shunammite woman's need for the man of God was very compelling.The woman received the promise of her son from the man of God,when her son died she never thought once of Gehazi to help,it was only "well" when she found the man of God.The delegation was attempted by Elisha to use his servant by laying the staff on the dead child's face,but this woman's faith clearly was with Elisha's relationship with the Almighty God.
ReplyDeleteI agree with brother Ed Gann comment concerning brother Bradbury's research on the Fort Knox mine.Great information 33tons of rock to produce 1 ounce of gold.Og Mandino wrote the most popular sale's book in the world,entitled "the greatest salesman in the world"Og wrote your gold might be just one more foot down keep digging.
ReplyDeleteOur crockpot evangelism, has turned into a meal or snack after church on Sunday evening. It certainly does give us a chance to meet and get to know each other much better. I don't paricularly like going out to eat on Sunday anyway. Ok I admit, I don't like to go out and eat. But the church is a much better place to talk than a restaurant and some of our new church members can't afford restaurant meals.
ReplyDeleteI really like Bible Studies as well, and totally agree with every point made by the speaker. I'm very interested in our first Revival as well. I'm so excited about the possiblities. One thing I've thought of, but haven't had the opportunity to try yet, is using local young preachers on a Saturday night. Maybe give them 15 minutes each. 4 or 5 of them, with some singing mixed in as well. This would give people a chance to use what they are feeling God is calling them to do. Nothing like getting some experience.
ReplyDeletealaskaelmore Thanks for the idea that every person we see is a potential member!! I like that, we are not in competition with any other local church, because what we have to offer doesn't even stand in the same catagory.
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate the passion that is underlying in Bro Bradbury's remarks. He's not screaming, but he has me excited about what it is I get to do as a Home Missionary. Thank you for the clear uplifting words concerning our calling!
ReplyDeleteWhat a compelling takeaway concerning the verse about the fields being ripe for harvest. I want to see my community through that lense every day. So many people who are hungry for God and desiring to be a part of His Kingdom. I admit that I am not always as convinced of this as I need to be. Thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteBro John R and Alaskaelmore - Crockpot evangelism has been a great success for our church. We have only 1 service on Sundays, and we use the ocassional Sunday night as an opportunity to fellowship with each other while grilling burgers or something. Our folks love the chance to forge new relationships with each other as well as strengthen previous ones.
ReplyDeletein response to alaskamore: I also view every person I come into contact with that lives in our community as a potential member. I picture them attending and becoming a part of our church.
ReplyDeleteI have often told people who say they admire what we are doing that anyone can plant a church, but only God can grow a church. I think this fits with Bro. Badbury's statement that as long as there are people, you can build a church. People are all around us and if I see the harvest as ripe and that God wants us to succeed then we can ensure that we are doing His will when we are reaching people.
ReplyDeleteWe have used food as a good connecting point in our community. Around Thanksgiving we have given away turkeys and this has helped us to make our name and faces familiar to those in our community and neighborhood. Also we have tied in potlucks with "Friends and Family " Sundays. We do about 3 of these a quarter, where we just emphasize a Sunday towards bring friends and families. This has begun to breed familiarity with those who attend and have seen people become members through these.
ReplyDelete@ alaskaelmore -- I rejoice with you as well.. Thank the Lord that the field is ripe. It's ready, and the Lord has prepared it for us to go Harvest it. Where there are people, there can be a church!! It doesn't matter if you are in the south, the north, the east or the NW! God's promises are faithful and true in every place
ReplyDeleteI can testify with Bro Bradbury that long bible studies rubbing shoulders with people is the most effective evangelism for someone that is planting a church. If they will give you time each week, invest that time in them.. and the Word and His Spirit will produce fruit and they will reproduce. That's how the church multiplies, is when people catch the vision and will buy into what you are planting.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting how he compares a company that is trying to get it's product out as much as possible, to a church that has more services to reach out and preach the gospel more often rather than less.. especially as we see the day of the Lord quickly approaching
ReplyDeleteWe have instituted the crockpot evangelism in our Wednesday format. Most Wednesday's we come together at a table and then follow it with a Bible Study. People love it.
ReplyDeleteThe Bible speak of the "fields being ripe"... the focus is on the fields. Sometimes I need to remind myself of the focus and less of the rest of it all. I can get caught up in looking at all that is around it all and forget about the white that is on the field.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate what Bro. Bradbury said about long-term bible studies. I have taught both short Bible Studies and Long term bible studies. What I have found works for me is to do a short bible study that helps bring them to an understanding or need for salvation. However, one will never be deeply grounded in the word of God without long extensive bible study. Long-Term Bible studies provide an opportunity to influence people over an extended period of time while teaching the principles and truths found in the Word
ReplyDeleteI liked the take on Revival services. I'm all for them and would love to do them more. The idea that we may not have very many people should be a good reason to plan such services. We had our first revival in February (thanks to HMD) and the results were astounding. That week we had around 50 first time visitors. About 20 of them have stayed and are involved in our bible study now. Praise God!
ReplyDelete(aka-the sanctuary) I appreciate the information presented in this session. Speaking specifically to the idea of how the “harvest is ready right” now allows for the church planter to be aware that what he/she is doing is not simply evangelizing without any direction. The Lord shared that He is the one who gives the increase, and we should not be discouraged if someone decided not to return to our church or follow up with a call after you visited them. Prayerfully seek what God is doing in the life of the individual and He can direct us to His plan/timing for them in their walk with the Lord.
ReplyDelete(aka-the sanctuary)I enjoyed the idea that we can work toward having a long-term bible study in mind in the process of winning people to Christ. Keeping the person or family in the forefront of our prayers and having a long-term study and strategy with them can create connection to the pastor. Such a study can bring about trust and allow the person to feel that this person truly cares about their spiritual well being.
ReplyDelete(aka-the sanctuary) Philip Bowers: The idea of having a “Friends and Family” special Sunday 3 times a week seems like something that we currently – “Friend Day”. I like the idea of strategically building evangelism services throughout the year to not only keep the focus in front of the existing congregation, but also to allow for new folks to visit on “their special day”. We will often do these events and have some sort of pot-luck meal afterward. A great amount of our new folks have really stuck after such an event!
ReplyDeleteDescribe how you are connecting with the people in your community. Is there a method you have used which connects people in a successful way to your church plant?
ReplyDeleteWe connect with the people in our community through weekly outreach efforts. We do A LOT of advertising, be it door hangers, newpaper ads, radio spots, and the most effective which is inviting friends and family. Nothing has been more successful for us than empowering the congregation to invite friends and family.